Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Seriously, Does Anyone Pay Taxes?

So President Obama is off to a good start in appointing cabinet members and other high government positions. Does he plan to appoint anyone who actually pays their god damn taxes? Perhaps it is not just a function of who Obama is selecting; perhaps the larger issue is politicians in general don't like to pay their taxes. Hell, I hate having my paycheck reduced every month but if I somehow cheat on my taxes I'll have hell to pay from the IRS. Apparently if you're in government and don't pay your taxes, you just get a "c'mon guys, pay them soon or put something on it, ok?" letter from the IRS. Here's a rundown of Obama's less than stellar choices: Bill Richardson (original choice for commerce secretary withdrew because of use of state contracts and political donors); Nancy Killefer (choice for chief performance officer just withdrew because of unpaid taxes); Timothy Geithner (confirmed as treasury secretary but paid over $30,000 in taxes late); Tom Daschle (recent choice for secretary of HHS doesn't pay his taxes).

The most troubling is Geithner failed to pay a large sum of taxes on time citing accounting "errors" and "mistakes." If homeboy can't even pay his taxes, how is he fit to oversee a failing economy and be head of the Federal Reserve?

I'm also troubled by Obama's "support" for these individuals. He sat there and preached for better government, for "change," and yet he allows these individuals to slide by when "joe sixpack" would be punished to the full extent of the law. As the Chicago Tribune stated, "to proclaim high standards and then suspend them exposes Obama to charges that he is either hypocritical or obtuse." Now as the economy is failing even more is no time to have individuals who make a large salary and then cheat on taxes hold positions that will determine the financial future for the rest of us.

Perhaps we should look into Obama's taxes. I'm pretty sure he has some shady financial records (not that any politician is "clean") but perhaps he can appoint someone who actually knows how to fill out a 1040 form or who uses TurboTax. God I hate politicians.

3 comments:

Eric Snyder said...

Hahaha. Here is the problem with white people B-Wong... they hate paying their taxes. You know if I would have skipped out on 150k worth of taxes, my black ass would be prosecuted. Seriously, though, you are right on, we will get letters if we miss 25 cents on our taxes and these hosers just skate by. Nader, or another third party candidate, would be the only solution to the broke-back style back rubbing of the politicians! See you at EB. Eric S

Lacy & Simon said...

I am laughing my ass off right now!
B-wong, I know you and I don't share the same political views in general, but I do agree with you on this one. Here is another point, our local tax authority overtaxed us last year and do you think we saw a penny or even had a remote chance of getting our hard earned cash back? NO! What can you do though? Are you going to be the giver or receiver in Brazil? All you can do is laugh!

Eric Snyder said...

I like to be the giver... if by giver you mean me giving my wizang to a lucky lady! Ha.

Just a little FYI, B-Wong, I just paid my taxes... 3 months early.

Take her easy, E