...has gotten out of control. I feel like I'm obligated to give a gift for every minor event these days. Can we agree to draw the line at birthdays and Xmas? Please? I recently received an invitation to attend a baptism for my friend's son (well, perhaps more of a good acquaintance). It is in SF and it is a religious ceremony...two reasons I cannot attend. But now I find out it is "etiquette" to send a gift. Why do I have to send a gift? Although I in no way support christening an individual who is not capable of logical thought, I am happy that they are proud of this event but I'm beginning to feel like I have to bear gifts at any event I attend.
My bank account is being run dry giving flowers for this or that day, gifts for someone because their child successfully passed kindergarten, because it is the spring equinox, because someone went a day without skid marks in their boxers. Birthdays and Xmas should be definite gift giving days; wedding gifts for relatives or very good friends; other than that can we please not have to give a gift just for waking up in the morning?
I also feel strongly about having to always say "(God) bless you" when someone sneezes. I know it is considered etiquette but no one can explain to me WHY it is etiquette. Why don't we say "bless you" when any other orifice emits whatever it emits...such as when we cough or fart. Actually, perhaps "bless you" when someone farts would make farting in public acceptable. Now I think we're on to something.
Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
no matter what etiquette says you should only give a gift if you WANT to give a gift. at least that is what i think!
Funny! What about a silent fart, who do you bless? It would make sense to say "bless you" when someone farts. Here goes, the tradition (from what I learned but my source is Simon so take this as you like) started because people didn't want their loved ones to fall ill (sneezing sign of a cold), so you said salud (health) to the person, then "bless you" developed as a way to call in the divine to heal or protect the person from illness. This may be appropriate for a fart. No one likes a nasty case of gas!
I'll let you know when (if ever) I go a day without skid marks in my boxers since you are giving gifts for that... I don't anticipate it any time soon, however.
You're killin' me smalls in the halls!
Lilly went pee-pee in the potty. Her favorite color is blue, don't mess up on her gift. She gets pissed about crappy gifts.
Post a Comment