...but, with voting day a few days a way, here is my short take on the matter. I will actually be voting tomorrow.
First, I believe we should all vote for the candidate who will be a stabilizing force for the US. We should not vote simply because his speeches make us feel good about ourselves. This isn't t-Ball where everyone gets a trophy and everyone is a winner. This is the leader of the free world we're talking about.
I have a huge problem with Obama. I've read his books and books against him. As far as my brain can gather, Obama has done nothing to support his rhetoric. He has no track record to support his "Change We Can Believe In" campaign or to support his stance that we need bipartisan politics. On the contrary. He has not supported any type of change as evidenced by his stints in the Illinois and US Senate. He votes either "present" or down party lines. This is something I cannot respect no matter how warm and fuzzy his speeches make me feel.
The other problem that really gets me is that when you ask someone why they are "Pro-Obama" they do not have what I would call a legitimate answer. "He speaks well" and "he's promising to make changes" and "he's not the same typical politician" are NOT good answers. Not if you have not done your homework. Most people have not bothered to read-up on his political background. If you have, you would (I hope) be bothered by his hypocritical rhetoric and his flat out lies. And if your argument is that McCain is just another "Dubya" then, please, re-think your argument and find something with more substance. I fail to see how just because he's Republican McCain will do exactly the same thing as George W. If your argument for Obama is that he will end the war and bring the troops home, perhaps you should consider how it needs to be done and if a (relatively) rapid deployment from Iraq is the best idea...or would it make the situation worse and cause us to end up there again. When I try to discuss these ideas with Pro-Obama people, they act as if you told them there's no such thing as God or if you've insulted their mother. No one I've talked to has solid, informed answers and I want to know why this is the case. Anyone?
Do I think McCain is the best candidate? No. Do I think he's as much of a bold-face liar as Obama. He is a politician...but, No. Do he's speeches make me feel all warm and fuzzy? No. Has he at least held a National level political office for longer than 6 months? Yes. Has he at least shown some evidence of voting against party lines? Yes. To me, if you want change, that last point is crucial. You have to have at some point voted against your party. There is a reason why Republicans call him "Maverick." (There's more than one, I'm sure, but going against Republican "tradition" is one of them.)
My main frustration is support for Obama out of pure emotion and not out of educated reason or logic. This ain't American Idol or Survivor. We are voting for our President. Apparently I'm not qualified to be a University President after 1 year of being a Prof but apparently you can be US President after 6 months in Senate.
And that is my rant on politics. I'll do this again in 4 years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, but Obama is such a good speaker and he promises change. Plus, Biden is way hotter than Palin!
Post a Comment