Well, on Jan 20 we will officially be an "Obama-Nation." I sincerely hope he turns out to be a good President. However, I am still waiting for SOMEONE to educate me on why he should be the Leader of the Free World. Watching the New Year's Eve coverage last night, here are the most educated responses (granted, those who agree to be interviewed may not be the best sample):
1. "HE is going to end the war." First, HE is not going to do anything. Just like HE (as in George W.) cannot start a war. A single person cannot begin nor end a war. Second, please consider what may happen if we pull troops out at the pace Obama is advocating. I side with McCain on this issue not because I want our troops to be in Iraq forever and a day but because this has to be done carefully. I would hate (absolutely hate) for our troops to withdraw too early only for the situation to get worse and we end up right back over there and in perhaps a worse situation than we left it. Granted, Obama's withdrawal plan has to pass through the Senate & House and he will have military aides, but when his (relatively) rapid deployment promise does not hold up, those who voted because of this cannot get upset. You should have thought about that before you voted.
2. "He is going to turn the economoy around." Again, no HE is not going to do any such thing. Just as one man cannot destroy the economy one man cannot turn it around. When the economy does turn around, please do not tell me that it was because of Obama. He, in fact, was all for subprime mortgages that, in part, got us here. He voted for these subprime rates because it financially benefitted his allies which fatened his pockets. Lending hundreds of thousands of dollars to people who cannot afford it? Who thought that was EVER a good idea? Yes, McCain originally voted for the same plan but later (as in before the economy tanked) he had the balls to say, "ya know, this plan is set up for disaster." DO NOT criticize McCain's economic plan when Obama has done all he could to not mention his role in the housing fiasco.
3. "We don't need a repeat of the past 8 years." If you voted for Obama because you think McCain would simply follow the footsteps of Bush, well, no offense, but that's moronic. If you truly believe each new President will follow the footsteps of the incumbent (provided they are of the same party) then perhaps we should talk.
4. "He's too old" and "Palin has no experience." Kettle. Black. Yeah, McCain is old and Palin is a newbie but why is it unacceptable, and bordering on "Un-American"," if you say Obama is too young or Obama has less experience. Saying Palin is too inexperienced to be VICE-President but ignoring that Obama is not experienced to be PRESIDENT is a prime example of faulty logic. P's and Q's, people. I will hedge on this though. I would be scared shitless if McCain passed and Palin was left in charge. I do feel more comfortable should Biden have to take executive command (but let's hope not!).
5. "This is the first step toward a truly equal America." Ok, I'm with this point. This does put the country toward equality (true equality) for all people....race, creed, sexual orientation, sex/gender, etc. It's not a good reason to vote a person to leader of the free world status but it is a good sign that America is turly rising above civil inequality.
Lastly, I realized this was no longer about politics and who is truly qualified when watching the what appeared to be NYE celebration in the streets. Party hats? Crying? Reall, crying people? Party whistles? Dancing in the streets? McCain never had a chance regardless of his politics. Obama made people cry and took their minds off the political platforms. He won the emotions of the people and it showed. This wasn't about the issues or who could LEAD a COUNTRY. It was about emotions. Obama played the game and realized that would get him to 1600 Penn Ave regardless of age, experience, and platforms.
OK, I vow to watch no more coverage of politics and vow not to write any more blogs on the matter. I said my piece and I voted the way I saw best for the country. I hope Obama is a good President and I hope he can implement all this (rather vague) change. I'll be back with more just random -ish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
1 word. Less tax breaks for the rich. Of course we all know that everyone of these guys fails to follow through with promises. That is all we can go on, though. We have to look at those more educated about us on this topic who got in his corner, too. Old reagan cabinet members, colin powell, abd perhaps very importantly in this time, warren buffett. When john mccain was asked who he would place as his primary economic advisor in a debate he floundered miserably whereas obama immediately listed buffett. Also, obama actually voted against going into iraq, which means a lot to some of us, especially when many weak-minded politicians voted for it just because of the completely unrelated sept. 11th.They are all to blame for the housing crises, indeed and both are owned by corporations (more obama than mccain, actually). But it will be who they appoint who will help us most.plus, you have to look at the service of the vp candidates, I will take the guy who was on the senate foriegn relations committee. I would argue that some of the obama supporters voted with their brains instead of their hearts. I voted nader, though. I am doing this on my blackberry, hope it works! Give me my belt pic! See you at eb. Eric
Post a Comment