Many die-hard SEC fans believe they are the best and toughest ones to ever play college football. They argue their SEC team faces tough competition every week (but notice they neglect their scheduling of the likes of Hawaii, The Citadel, Louisiana-Monroe, Arkansas State). Numbers don't lie so here are some numbers (SEC folks read on...)
# Teams in Top 10 in total offense: Big 12 = 5, Pac 10 = 1, SEC = 0
# Teams in Top 20 in total offense: Big 12 = 6, Pac 10 = 2, SEC = 1
...in Top 30: Big 12 = 7, Pac 10 = 3, SEC = 2
If you look at it in terms of offense vs. ranked AP teams, only Florida and Georgia are in the top 15 (each against 2...yes, TWO...ranked teams) while Big 12 has 8 and Pac 10 has 3 (each playing at least 3 ranked teams).
SEC could argue "the defense in the league is so tough we beat up on each other." Yes, the SEC has a stock of teams in the top 30 in total defense no matter how you look at it. But let's face it, those defenses look real good when you play a bunch of teams with, well, crappy offenses.
I don't think Florida or Alabama has played a team as good as USC, Oklahoma, Texas, or even Texas Tech. USC's offense has been "sub-par" but even so they are still in the Top 20 nationally and have the best defense in the country. USC lost ON THE ROAD to Oregon State who was 1 game from winning the conference, has a top 30 offense and defense. Florida lost AT HOME to Ole Miss who is in the Top 25 but miles from winning a conference championship and is not a top 30 offense or deffensive team.
Take that, SEC elitists. Face it, Tennessee sucked, South Carolina was grossly over-rated in the preseason, LSU is a shaky 7-5, and Georgia got exposed as pretty pedestrian against Georgia Tech who ran all over the vaunted SEC-Georgia defense. My god, Tech used the triple option to run all over a daunting SEC defense. At 12-0 Alabama deserves to be in a position to win it all. Florida but not USC? Uhhhhh....
PS: I am in no way a USC fan I just can't take this elitist SEC attitude when facts don't stand behind it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sooooooooo.... I can't wait until the next Tour De France! Anyone? Anyone?
Man, I wish I was a real man and I knew about football then I could make sense of your post! Does SEC stand for Securities and Exchange Commission?
I'm also going to sign on as someone who thought you were talking about the Securities and Exchange Commission until I started reading the article...
Post a Comment